A small, private, liberal arts university decided to combine Study Abroad and ISS into one department called Global Engagement. Both teams were accustomed to operating as separate departments and had limited interaction or understanding of their counterparts’ daily operations. In order for this merge to be successful, Global Engagement would need experienced leadership to guide and support this new department.
To ensure that both departments were in alignment, IEP recommended the creation of a new position, an Executive Director of Global Engagement. Having worked with IEP previously, the leaders at this institution recognized how our connection to the greater International Education community and work with other institutions would benefit them in their search for an Executive Director.
IEP supported the hiring process by:
- Evaluating & offering feedback on the job description created by the institution
- Reviewing all applications for the position & recommending which candidates to move forward
- Creating standardized questions and scorecard to rank applicants
- Conducting first round interviews via phone or video conferencing
- Providing final candidate list for on-campus interviews
After the institution interviewed final candidates and made an offer, they brought IEP in to assist with the on-boarding process for the new Executive Director. Having worked with this office previously, IEP provided the new Executive Director with excellent insight about their team. IEP created a “First 100 Days in Office” document, outlining the key tasks to focus on. Onboarding tasks included:
- Shadowing all teams to understand their day to day operations, frustrations, successes, etc.
- Establish weekly one-on-one and team meetings to facilitate frequent communication
- Create a department mission, vision – outline the shared goals
- Review current data and establish frequency with data reporting
- Roadmap key office processes for Study Abroad and ISS
- And many more!
“I was impressed with what IEP was so deftly and quickly able to put together for us. Thanks for such stellar professionalism.” – Katie